Man Steals Back Bike From Thief


This story (link) on newser.com really stuck to me, and for a good reason. I’m a bike lover, and I’ve had my bike stolen a couple of times from the safety of my own apartment building.

The circumstances of these thefts had always left me with the impression that somehow some neighbour of mine had been involved in the theft.  The idea that this guy, whoever he was, knew when I’d chained my bike in front of my apartment door for 20minutes, while i changed (1st time it got stolen) because somebody from the same building had probably told him, got me really infuriated. Second time it was stolen, I’d chained it to the same radiator on the building corridor (this time with double, thick chains), but it only got stolen 10 minutes after my folks left. Somebody had seen my folks leave and probably assumed nobody was home to keep an eye on the bike - and within 10 minutes of their departure it was gone.

I fantasized about catching the thief red-handed, riding my bike, and exacting my vengeance upon him. I thought about how bad-ass it would be to find the guy and take my bike back. I really liked those bikes. So it comes with no surprise that this story in particular made my day.


Danny Lesh couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw his stolen bike on Craigslist. He had a break most of us who get our bikes stolen don’t get, and he called the police. When he realized the police were too slow to help him right way, what did Danny do?

A Cannondale bike, thankfully though not Danny's.

He went bad-ass mode and met up with the thief, conning him into thinking he was a prospective buyer. He got up on the bike, pretending to want to test it out first, only he never came back. He just rolled away into the sunset, casually throwing a big middle finger back at his bewildered thief (ok, maybe the last part was just make-believe).


The story doesn’t end here. The thief started calling Danny, and he eventually left a message telling him he was going to call the police. Ha ha. Danny went home and put up warnings on Craigslist about stolen bikes being listed for sale, which makes him a double bad-ass.


A big thumbs up from me, Danny. I just wish more bike owners would get the chance to see their thieves up close and personal - and give them a piece of our minds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World's Fattest Woman Plans To Get Fatter

The Amazing Fig Wasp Makes You Ponder Life